Subject: Re: Reboot
From: [email-masked] (robert hood)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:08:57 -0800

> I just watched 'Reboot', the computer generated kids show last Saturday
> morning.  Is it me, or did Reboot improve it's look by 500%.  I got hooked
> watching it!  I loved the camera moves!  And this was after watching
> 'Hypernauts', which, in my opinion seems to be getting a 'leeetle' better.
> But then again, they have a show and I don't :(  (getting there though)

Personally, I think Reboot is the absolute neatest show on television.  It
does with computer animation exactly what I think CGI should be used for:
to bring the impossible to life.  It is *extremely* well done, with
outstanding character animation, beleivable characters, intriguing plots,
etc.

While effects done on seaQuest and S:A&B are stunningly realistic, and
greatly enhance the shows that employ them, I am constantly reminded of
something said by one of the old Warner Bros. animators (was it Fritz?):
If it can be done in real life, then it isn't animation (I'm paraphrasing).
He was, of course, referring to cartoon animation, but I think the same holds
true for CGI.  If CGI spaceship is almost indistinguishable from a real model,
then the only advance you've made is in your show's budget.

Reboot brings to life something that would be impossible to do for "real."
I think, therefore, that it is at the leading apex of the CGI artform.

Too bad ABC has cancelled it.

Render me gone,               |||
Bob                         ^(===)^
-------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------
Bob Hood, President | All governments suffer from a recurring problem:
Virtual Visions,Inc.| Power attracts pathological personalities.  It is not
Tel: 1.303.989.4191 | that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the
FAX: 1.303.727.7555 | corruptible.  Such people have a tendency to become
                    | drunk on violence, a condition to which they are
[email-masked]    | quickly addicted              - Frank Herbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------